Trio Con Alma | Focus on Horace Silver
Thursday 14th November 2019
8:00pm - 10:00pm
- Seated dining from 7pm
- Performance starts at 8pm
- Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Meze Menu served until 9:30pm
Trio Con Alma take their name from the Dizzy Gillespie composition Con Alma. Exploring the breadth of latin jazz, this piano trio play the music of, and take inspiration from the likes of Ahmad Jamal, Chick Corea, The Jazz Crusaders, Paul Gonsalves, Tania Maria and Ray Bryant. Whether cooking on Cubano Chant, relaxing on Poinciana or grooving on Come With Me, this music is always performed Con Alma..."with soul"...
For this performance, the trio will be exploring the latin side of Horace Silver's fantastic catalogue of compositions. Expect to hear the classic, "Song For My Father" as well as the likes of "Cape Verdean Blues", "Nica's Dream" or "Senor Blues"
"It's clear that few jazz musicians have had a greater impact on the contemporary mainstream than Horace Silver. The hard bop style that Silver pioneered in the ’50s is now dominant, played not only by holdovers from an earlier generation, but also by fuzzy-cheeked musicians who had yet to be born when the music fell out of critical favor in the ’60s and ’70s.
Silver’s earliest musical influence was the Cape Verdean folk music he heard from his Portuguese-born father. In 1953, he joined forces with Art Blakey to form the Jazz Messengers, which was a milestone in the development of the genre that came to be known as hard bop. Many of the tunes penned by Silver for that record — “The Preacher,” “Doodlin’,” “Room 608” — became jazz classics. By 1956, Silver had left the Messengers to record on his own. The series of Blue Note albums that followed established Silver for all time as one of jazz’s major composer/pianists"
Piano - Paul Deats
Double bass - Simon Paterson
Drums - Simon Bowhill
Trio Con Alma | Focus on Horace Silver
- All seating is allocated by our Maitre d', who will make every attempt to accommodate your first choice. This is not always possible, and for busy events your party may even be split between tables. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We respectfully ask that you consider fellow listeners and artists by silencing mobile phones and keeping noise to a minimum during performances
- These are the premium seats, each one having clear sight lines to the stage
- You can request to be seated in Dizzy (raked theatre), Duke (side wall), Monk or Bird (bar stools), Billie (front of stage) or Mingus (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats on a first come, first served basis. (Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfill all customers requirements)
- Each of these seats is at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can also request to be seated in an area near the window (Ella or Satchmo). Please note, some tables have restricted view
EARLY BIRD/ADV TICKET
- These are seated if the event is seated, or standing otherwise
STANDARD, SEATED IF AVAILABLE TICKET
- Standard tickets are realeased once seated tickets have sold out
- These are for any of the table seating not occupied by "seated" ticketholders, or for standing in the bar area behind the seated auditorium. We politely ask that you stand within this area so as not to obscure the view of the seated audience
- Seating in the areas Billie and Mingus will not be available for these events.
- Usually, other seating areas will be bookable, but please be aware that other audience members may obscure your view of the stage in some locations
- We are able to cater for bookings of up to 22 people in the area 'Ella' and up to 12 in 'Satchmo'
- We can also arrange for a standing buffet for more people on request
Please email email@example.com to discuss your enquiry
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
ONLINE TICKETS/ON THE DOOR
- Online ticket sales finish an hour before the listed start time
- There are often tickets available on the door, but we would advise purchasing online as events can sell out well in advance