Swinging Around The Christmas Tree [Xmas Special]
Kick back & relax with our Sunday afternoon jazz & meze sessions…
Dining from 12pm
Performance 1-3pm (with interval)
View Seating Plan
Swinging Around The Christmas Tree with The Ben Martin Quartet
A fairly tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken too seriously fun afternoon of Jazz Christmas hits with The Ben Martin Quartet.
Jazz and the Golden Age of Hollywood are synonymous with rousing film scores and memorable hits from some of the greatest movies ever made. Alongside these terrific tunes are a wealth of Christmas songs written by Tin Pan Alley’s greatest songwriters. White Christmas and I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Irving Berlin, Let It Snow by Jule Styne, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town by John Frederick Coots & Haven Gillespie and The Christmas Song by Mel Tormé. These gems have been performed by the cream of jazz royalty including Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Wynton Marsalis, Shirley Horn and Nat King Cole. Inn fact it’s easier to find a list of artists who haven’t cashed in on the festive season.
With their Great American Songbook forms and standard chord sequences they’re the ideal vehicle for jazz musicians to unleash their improvisational skills on and for the great tinsel town arrangers to arrange and rearrange to their heart’s delight. And the musicians don’t stop there.
Christmas carols are mercilessly ripped apart and put back together again in the name of Swing! The Ben Martin Quartet have been playing together for over a decade in many different guises.
Their credits include Sir Paul McMartney, Lady Gaga, Matt Goss, Tony Kofi, Dick Pearce, Jim Mullen, Andy Sheppard, Kenny Wheeler and many more.
Ben ‘Jammin’ Martin – saxes/mulled wine
Andrew ‘Woody’ Wood – drums/mince pies
Matthew ‘Anthony’ Ratcliffe – piano/stollen
Martyn ‘J’ Spencer – double bass/small sherry and a carrot
Ticket and Venue information:
- You can request to be seated in ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Duke’ (side wall), ‘Billie’ (front of stage) or ‘Mingus’ (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats.
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- Seating in ‘Ella’ or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows) is allocated last, unless specifically requested. Please note, a few of these seats are restricted view
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email email@example.com to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor