Soundin' Off with Layale Chaker & Sarafand
Wednesday 9th October 2019
7:00pm - 11:00pm
- Seated dining from 7pm
- Concert starts at 8pm
- Mediterranean & Middle Eastern Meze Menu served until 9:30pm
Composed between Beirut, Paris and London over the past two years and recorded in New York over the summer of 2018, the album explores aesthetics of Arabic classical, vernacular and free verse poetry, using a musical language at the intersections of contemporary, jazz and Arabic Maqam music. “Inner Rhyme” was awarded the Arab Fund for Arts and Culture 2018 Grant.
Layale first became passionate about poetry through the prism of 40's and 50's Lebanese repertoire, and its' improvised oratory poetry, which is often considered in its' local culture as the pinnacle of musical expression. Listening to the voices of Zaghloul el Damour, (the Nightingale of Damour), Moussa Zgheib and Khalil Rukoz, as well as wedding chants, Sufi remembrance recitations (Zikr) and Syriac rituals, she marveled at the prominence and abundance of poetry and music in each and every aspect of Lebanese life.
Chaker went on to translate twelve classical Arabic poetic meters into rhythmical meters. Mapped through those rhythmical meters, but also through the fluidity of oral vernacular and free modern forms, “Inner Rhyme” unveils musical threads that aim to abstract language and focus on the physical contour of verses and the percussive sonority of the words. Beyond expression, the composition process captures the shape and essence of epic testimonials on life, death, war and love that make the heart of Arabic poetry.
In a Circle Records was established in 2008 by Johnny Gandelsman, Grammy-winning producer and violinist. Most recent releases include Johnny’s debut recording, featuring complete solo works for violin by JS Bach, and Silkroad Ensemble & Yo-Yo Ma’s album of music recorded for Ken Burns and Lynn Novick’s documentary TV series, “The Vietnam War”.
Soundin' Off with Layale Chaker & Sarafand
- All seating is allocated by our Maitre d', who will make every attempt to accommodate your first choice. This is not always possible, and for busy events your party may even be split between tables. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We respectfully ask that you consider fellow listeners and artists by silencing mobile phones and keeping noise to a minimum during performances
- These are the premium seats, each one having clear sight lines to the stage
- You can request to be seated in Dizzy (raked theatre), Duke (side wall), Monk or Bird (bar stools), Billie (front of stage) or Mingus (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats on a first come, first served basis. (Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfill all customers requirements)
- Each of these seats is at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can also request to be seated in an area near the window (Ella or Satchmo). Please note, some tables have restricted view
EARLY BIRD/ADV TICKET
- These are seated if the event is seated, or standing otherwise
STANDARD, SEATED IF AVAILABLE TICKET
- Standard tickets are realeased once seated tickets have sold out
- These are for any of the table seating not occupied by "seated" ticketholders, or for standing in the bar area behind the seated auditorium. We politely ask that you stand within this area so as not to obscure the view of the seated audience
- Seating in the areas Billie and Mingus will not be available for these events.
- Usually, other seating areas will be bookable, but please be aware that other audience members may obscure your view of the stage in some locations
- We are able to cater for bookings of up to 22 people in the area 'Ella' and up to 12 in 'Satchmo'
- We can also arrange for a standing buffet for more people on request
Please email email@example.com to discuss your enquiry
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
ADVANCE TICKETS/ON THE DOOR
- Advance ticket sales finish at 18:30 on the day of the concert
- There are often tickets available on the door, but we would advise purchasing online as events can sell out well in advance