[Jazz] Simon Spillett
Doors at 5pm, vacate by 7:30pm
Ticket is inclusive of a set menu
Doors at 7:30pm, vacate by midnight.
Two sets of music with an interval, food purchased separately view full menu
Please see our Covid Safety Policy
“Those of us who have caught him….have been left blinking in disbelief. It’s not only his mastery of the tenor saxophone, phenomenal though that is, but the absolute conviction of his playing that is so impressive” – Dave Gelly, The Sunday Observer
“Straight-ahead, high energy jazz is his line and he does it with aplomb” – The Guardian
Described by the late Humphrey Lyttelton as “formidable,” Simon Spillett is a British jazz saxophonist who has won several awards for his music, including the tenor saxophone category of the British Jazz Awards (2011), Jazz Journal magazine’s Critic’s Choice CD of the Year (2009) Rising Star in the BBC Jazz Awards (2007) and most recently the Services to British Jazz in the 2016 British Jazz Awards. Other celebrated jazz leaders and bands with whom he has worked have included Sir John Dankworth, Stan Tracey, Peter King and The Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Orchestra.
He has recorded three albums, Introducing Simon Spillett (Woodville Records, 2007), Sienna Red (Woodville Records, 2008) and Square One (Gearbox Records, 2013), all of which have received highly favourable reviews in both the specialist and national press. His festival, concert and club appearances across the UK have included sold-out gigs at Ronnie Scott’s and the Brecon Jazz Festival and he has broadcast on BBC Radio 3’s Jazz-Line Up with his own band.
In 2016, Simon was appointed to the board of patrons of The Jazz Centre UK, alongside Sir Michael Parkinson, Dame Cleo Laine, Jools Holland and Van Morrison
“Spillett doesn’t shake you by the hand so much as grab you by the throat…” – Brian Morton, The Penguin Guide To Jazz Recordings
Joining Simon tonight are the wonderful talents of:
Rob Barron – piano
Arnie Somogyi – bass
Pete Cater – drums
Ticket and Venue information:
- You can request to be seated in ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Duke’ (side wall), ‘Billie’ (front of stage) or ‘Mingus’ (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats.
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- Seating in ‘Ella’ or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows) is allocated last, unless specifically requested. Please note, a few of these seats are restricted view
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor