Shab e Yalda
Saturday 21st December 2019
12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Seated dining from 12pm
- Serving Mediterranean & Middle Eastern Meze
A lunch time family-friendly event to celebrate the Persian Winter Solstice festival, 'Night of Yalda', which is the longest and darkest night of the year.
"The ancient Persians depended on agriculture for their livelihood. By experience they learned the longer days and warm rays of sun helped their crops and the gathering months brought shorter days and longer nights. They discovered that after what was the longest night of the year the daylight hours started to get longer. This night was called Yalda which meant rebirth (of the sun), and it was celebrated for the triumph of light over darkness."
During Shab e Yalda, it's traditional to feast on bright red fruits like pomegranate and watermelon, nuts like pistachio, and delicious Persian cuisine, whilst also reading Hafez poetry, which is used as a form of divination to guide your future endeavours.
At Peggy's Skylight we've teamed up with locally-based Persian artists to host an afternoon of food, live music, poetry, and a special Hafez Grotto where instead of speaking to Santa Claus, you can ask the book Divan-e Hafez for some future good fortune.
This event is open to all. Tickets are free for under 10 year old's, and £6 for everyone else.Back to all events
Shab e Yalda
- All seating is allocated by our Maitre d', who will make every attempt to accommodate your first choice. This is not always possible, and for busy events your party may even be split between tables. Please email email@example.com
- We respectfully ask that you consider fellow listeners and artists by silencing mobile phones and keeping noise to a minimum during performances
- These are the premium seats, each one having clear sight lines to the stage
- You can request to be seated in Dizzy (raked theatre), Duke (side wall), Monk or Bird (bar stools), Billie (front of stage) or Mingus (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats on a first come, first served basis. (Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfill all customers requirements)
- Each of these seats is at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can also request to be seated in an area near the window (Ella or Satchmo). Please note, some tables have restricted view
EARLY BIRD/ADV TICKET
- These are seated if the event is seated, or standing otherwise
STANDARD, SEATED IF AVAILABLE TICKET
- Standard tickets are realeased once seated tickets have sold out
- These are for any of the table seating not occupied by "seated" ticketholders, or for standing in the bar area behind the seated auditorium. We politely ask that you stand within this area so as not to obscure the view of the seated audience
- Seating in the areas Billie and Mingus will not be available for these events.
- Usually, other seating areas will be bookable, but please be aware that other audience members may obscure your view of the stage in some locations
- We are able to cater for bookings of up to 22 people in the area 'Ella' and up to 12 in 'Satchmo'
- We can also arrange for a standing buffet for more people on request
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your enquiry
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
Please email email@example.com to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
ONLINE TICKETS/ON THE DOOR
- Online ticket sales finish an hour before the listed start time
- There are often tickets available on the door, but we would advise purchasing online as events can sell out well in advance