Sara Dowling Quartet [jazz]
Doors at 5pm, vacate by 7:30pm
View meze boards menu
Doors at 7:30pm, vacate by midnight.
Two sets of music with an interval
View full menu
Please see our Covid Safety Policy
View Seating Plan
Sara Dowling Quartet
“Sara is now a real force of nature within Uk jazz with surely a great future ahead of her” – Jazz Views
“Her voice has all the qualities that you find in the great singers” – Guy Barker
Voted Best Vocalist in the British Jazz Awards 2019, Sara Dowling is gaining fame as one of the most talented jazz singers in the UK. She first trained as a cellist at Chetham’s and the RNCM, before emerging as a powerful and expressive jazz vocalist and composer. Her most important influences are Betty Carter and Sarah Vaughan.
Although her vocal approach is steeped in the jazz idiom and its repertoire, Sara is now coming forth with her own original style that resonates in her compositions as well as her unique approach to standards.
Her sound is a vibrant fusion of nostalgic classical harmonies and intense American post-bop rhythms of the late 1960s, where interplay and improvisation are at the heart of the performance.
The fabulous fearlessness with which she approaches the act of singing, the burning conviction, the irresistible communicative power and jaw-dropping musicality she brings to it makes Sara one of the UK’s leading Jazz vocalists.
Sara has performed in some of the UK’s most prestigious jazz venues and festivals (Ronnie Scott’s, Buxton International Festival, Swanage Jazz Festival, Isle of Wight Festival) as well as headlining festivals abroad in Italy, France and Hungary.
“Rarely does a jazz singer grace our scene with such breathtaking authenticity and natural flair. Dowling is this thing” – Ian Shaw
Ticket and Venue information:
- You can request to be seated in ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Duke’ (side wall), ‘Billie’ (front of stage) or ‘Mingus’ (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats.
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- Seating in ‘Ella’ or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows) is allocated last, unless specifically requested. Please note, a few of these seats are restricted view
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email email@example.com to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor