Root Down! with Dennis Rollins Velocity Trio
Friday 24th May 2019
7:00pm - 12:00am
- 7:00pm till 10:00pm (Concert starts 8:00pm)
- Kitchen Serves Middle Eastern Meze Menu until 9:30pm
- Doors open to the public free entry 10pm till late
- Dj Daddio & The Jazz Ambassadors 10pm till late
Virtuoso trombonist and composer Dennis Rollins is well known on the British and international jazz scene and his latest project, Velocity Trio, is yet another of his many successful endeavours.
A rare instrumentation of the trombone-led trio with Hammond and drums, Dennis leads the trio with his powerful and inventive trombone with which he creates all the moods from funky and groovy to very melodic and lyrical. He takes the risk and pushes the envelope with his creative and edgy approach to music.
Dennis Rollins is well-known on the British and international jazz scene and is celebrated for his versatility and muscular approach on that underrated instrument, the trombone. Born in 1964 in the Midlands to Jamaican parents, and raised in South Yorkshire, Dennis cut his teeth at the age of 14 studying and performing with The Doncaster Youth Jazz Association. After years of study, Dennis moved to London and began playing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra (NYJO), and the legendary all-black jazz big band The Jazz Warriors. Over the years he has established a reputation as an artist of excellence, and has lent his unique and stylish talents to some of this country's, and indeed the world's, top jazz and pop personalities such as Courtney Pine, Baba Maal, Jamiroquai, US3, Brand New Heavies, and Blur. He is also a key and crowd-pleasing member of the legendary Maceo Parker's band.
In 2006 his jazz/funk outfit Badbone & Co won the prestigious BBC Jazz Award for Best Band and the following year he picked up Trombonist of the Year at both the British Jazz Awards, and the Ronnie Scott's Jazz Awards. He also received nominations in the Urban Music Awards and the Parliamentary Jazz Awards.
Dennis was nominated twice in the 2008 Parliamentary Jazz Awards - for Jazz Musician of the Year and the Jazz Education Award; he won the latter in a ceremony hosted by Paul Gambaccini at the House of Commons Terrace Pavilion. In February 2008, in a ceremony at Mansion House, Doncaster, Dennis was givenHonorary Freedom of the Borough in recognition of his successful musical career, and for his role as an inspiration to Doncaster's musical youngsters.
As part of Her Majesty the Queen’s Birthday Honours 2018, Dennis was honoured with an MBE for services to music.
The band includes Hammond Organ virtuoso Ross Stanley and the spectacular Will Cleasby on drums and percussion.
NOT TO BE MISSED!!
Root Down! with Dennis Rollins Velocity Trio
- All seating is allocated by our Maitre d', who will make every attempt to accommodate your first choice. This is not always possible, and for busy events your party may even be split between tables. Please email email@example.com
- We respectfully ask that you consider fellow listeners and artists by silencing mobile phones and keeping noise to a minimum during performances
- These are the premium seats, each one having clear sight lines to the stage
- You can request to be seated in Dizzy (raked theatre), Duke (side wall), Monk or Bird (bar stools), Billie (front of stage) or Mingus (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats on a first come, first served basis. (Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfill all customers requirements)
- Each of these seats is at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can also request to be seated in an area near the window (Ella or Satchmo). Please note, some tables have restricted view
STANDARD, SEATED IF AVAILABLE TICKET
- Standard tickets are realeased once seated tickets have sold out
- These are for any of the table seating not occupied by "seated" ticketholders, or for standing in the bar area behind the seated auditorium. We politely ask that you stand within this area so as not to obscure the view of the seated audience
- We are able to cater for bookings of up to 22 people in the area 'Ella' and up to 12 in 'Satchmo'
- We can also arrange for a standing buffet for more people on request
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your enquiry
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
Please email email@example.com to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
ADVANCE TICKETS/ON THE DOOR
- Advance ticket sales finish at 18:30 on the day of the concert
- There are often tickets available on the door, but we would advise purchasing online as events can sell out well in advance