[jazz] Nye Banfield
Doors at 7pm
Performance 8-10pm (with interval)
Please see our Covid Safety Policy
“A smart and original composer who knows both the roots of modern jazz and where he intends to take his own music, with his cool Wayne Shorter-inspired tenor sax very much a key ingredient in that story” – Headfirst
Nye is an ambitious saxophonist, composer and bandleader, bringing an excitingly fresh sound to the buzzing London jazz scene. Influenced by 60s Blue Note artists and contemporary pillars of the scene, Nye draws inspiration from the likes of Wayne Shorter and Ambrose Akinmusire. Combining with a love for orchestral music, Nye concocts an audio feast of anthemic melodies, menacing harmonies, and earth-moving rhythms.
All Change EP (2018, featuring Dylan Jones of Ezra Collective) explored creative jazz improvisation driven by Nye’s deep admiration for modern African-American music. Akinmusire’s complete freedom of expression in A Rift in Decorum and Kendrick Lamar’s approach to first person narrative in To Pimp A Butterfly influences the EP both sonically and conceptually, giving the music a rich tapestry of perspectives.
His debut album is released this year, featuring Mark Kavuma (trumpeter and leader of The Banger Factory). The work builds upon Nye’s compositional approach to jazz music in a modern framework of group improvisation and expression.
This group create a gripping and intense live experience that is not to be missed
Nye Banfield – Saxes
Rupert Cox – piano
Hamish Nockles-Moore – double bass
Ewan Moore – drums
Ticket and Venue information:
- You can request to be seated in ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Duke’ (side wall), ‘Billie’ (front of stage) or ‘Mingus’ (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats.
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- Seating in ‘Ella’ or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows) is allocated last, unless specifically requested. Please note, a few of these seats are restricted view
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor