Chris Ingham’s Hoagy! [Jazz]
Twilight: performance 6-7pm
Doors at 5pm, please vacate by 7:20pm
View Skylight Express menu
Highlight: performance 8:30-10:30pm
Doors at 7:30pm,
Two sets of music with an interval
View Full menu
View Seating Plan
Chris Ingham’s Hoagy!
“One of Britain’s best singer-pianists…
“This is just lovely…” – SUNDAY TIMES – JAZZ CD of the WEEK & TOP 10 JAZZ CD 2014
“Captures the spirit of a 20th-century giant…a delightful package” **** – OBSERVER
A favourite at Ronnie Scott’s and festivals all over the UK, Chris Ingham’s Hoagy! is packed with the songs and stories of one of America’s most enduring and endearing songwriters. Wry, wise, sentimental, down-home and sophisticated, Hoagy Carmichael’s songs are beloved for their warmth, wit and melodic beauty.
This joyful, edifying and heartfelt salute to the Old Music Master features many engaging anecdotes and insights along with tracks from Chris’s acclaimed CDs Hoagy and Hoagy II including well-loved hits (Stardust, Lazy River, Georgia On My Mind, Skylark, Ole Buttermilk Sky, Lazy Bones, et al) alongside obscure nuggets and delightful curiosities from this unique songwriter’s rich and varied songbook.
A hot jazz junkie and a self-taught pianist, Hoagy always claimed he was a discoverer of tunes rather than a composer, a down home sophisticate with a direct line over the shadows and the rain to the blossom-covered songs of Hoagland. Pumping with a jazz heart, crafted with instinctive Tin Pan Alley smarts, bolstered by harmonies as rich as Kern or Gershwin and topped with melodies dancing like Bix Beiderbecke arpeggii (that’s what Hoagy calls ‘em, must be right), these 70-100 year-old songs still sing to us, still make us stop for a moment.
Dazzling absurdity juxtaposes plaintive romanticism while at the centre of everything, the eternal quest for the peacefully dandy. Take me there, brother.
“Hits the sweet spot every time” **** – BBC MUSIC
“Outstanding quartet…inspired solo forays…nifty and concise arrangements…a fine delectation of Hoagy delights conveyed masterfully” – LONDON JAZZ NEWS
Chris Ingham – piano/vocal
Paul Higgs – trumpet
Simon Paterson – bass
George Double – drums
Ticket and Venue information:
- Twilight / Highlight Show (main seating area) – You can request to be seated in ‘Billie’ (front of stage), ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Mingus’ (near piano) or ‘Duke’ (side wall) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats
- Twilight / Highlight Show (Ella/Satchmo seating area) – you can request to be seated in ‘Ella’ (by the fireplace) or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows). Please note, a few of these seats have a restricted view
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- If you are hoping to combine bookings or join an existing booking then please let us know in advance as we cannot guarantee that changes to our table plan will be possible on the night
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email email@example.com to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor