Djangada [Funky Brazilian Jazz]
Doors at 7pm
Performance 8-10pm (with interval)
View Seating Plan
“The distance across the ocean between Brazil and London becomes small in the hands of these great and talented musicians. Long live Djangada, long live Brazilian music” – D.Vyzor
Fast emerging as the new Brazilian sound from the UK, Djangada‘s funky piano trio reworkings of classics from Gilberto Gil and Dorival Caymmi has captivated audiences all over. Their dynamic trio interplay comes from years of performing together as a rhythm section and is a thrill to witness live; a blend of traditional Brazilian music with a jazz aesthetic that is lively and accessible, but with a deep sense of craft and musicality.
The name Djangada comes from the word Jangada, a fishing boat found in the north-east of Brazil, the home of Afro-Brazilian rhythms. It is from here that Djangada draws their inspiration, transforming the classic songs of Bahia’s Dorival Caymmi and Gilberto Gil into punchy instrumental grooves. Paying homage to these greats, the trio brings the classic Bossa Nova piano trio sound associated with the 1960’s into a new, funkier era. Their sound is characterised by meticulously crafted arrangements that are interspersed with raw, powerful grooves and joyous improvisation.
Sam Watts (piano) and Matheus Nova (bass) have been playing together for several years and have formed the backbone of many brazilian rhythm sections in Europe over the years including those of Marcelo Andrade, Celeste Caramanna, Adriano Adewale, Luiz Morais, Luna Cohen, and Cosmo Sound Collective amongst others. When they met Marcinho Pereira (drums) in 2020 they decided to finally break out and do their own thing, and these years of musical communication and interplay are the foundation of the band’s sound.
Ticket and Venue information:
- General Admission (main seating area) – You can request to be seated in ‘Billie’ (front of stage), ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Mingus’ (near piano) or ‘Duke’ (side wall) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats
- General Admission (Ella/Satchmo seating area) – you can request to be seated in ‘Ella’ (by the fireplace) or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows). Please note, a few of these seats have a restricted view
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- If you are hoping to combine bookings or join an existing booking then please let us know in advance as we cannot guarantee that changes to our table plan will be possible on the night
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email email@example.com to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor
- Concessionary tickets are available for anyone under 26; over 65; receiving Universal Credit or in possession of a current NUS card
- If concessionary tickets are purchased alongside standard tickets, then you will all be seated together. Should your booking consist entirely of concessionary tickets then we will do our best to have you seated in your preferred section, but if the event fills up then seating priority will go to those who have purchased standard tickets