Chris Gumbley’s ‘Tribute To Cannonball’ [jazz]
Doors at 5pm, vacate by 7:30pm
View meze boards menu
Doors at 7:30pm, vacate by midnight.
Two sets of music with an interval
View full menu
Please see our Covid Safety Policy
View Seating Plan
Chris Gumbley’s ‘Tribute To Cannonball’
“Amazing material, extremely well played…the whole presentation of the concert is superb with announcements that are both informative and entertaining” – Tony Dudley-Evans, Jazzlines
An exceptional quintet dedicated to re-creating the wonderful sound of the great Cannonball Adderley Quintet of the late 50s and 60s.
Featuring some of the UK’s most creative and dynamic musicians, the band storms through such classics as Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, This Here and Dat Dere, along with some lesser-known gems from the period (Del Sasser, Jeannine etc). All numbers are faithfully transcribed from the original recordings.
“A delightful evening of truly accessible modern jazz, with much creative original improvisation and a great sense of musicality” – Ken Morris
Julian “Cannonball” Adderley was the first musician to take listeners’ ears beyond the monumental achievements of Charlie Parker on the saxophone. Adderley’s alto helped define the hard-bop sound, with his combination of blistering technique and a seemingly effortless ability to meld the blues, gospel, and funk with bebop.
One of the great alto saxophonists, Cannonball Adderley had an exuberant and happy sound that communicated immediately to listeners. His intelligent presentation of his music (often explaining what he and his musicians were going to play) helped make him one of the most popular of all jazzmen.
Chris Gumbley – alto saxophone
Neil Yates – trumpet
Matt Ratcliffe – piano
James Owston – bass
Carl Hemmingsley – drums
Ticket and Venue information:
- You can request to be seated in ‘Dizzy’ (raked theatre), ‘Duke’ (side wall), ‘Billie’ (front of stage) or ‘Mingus’ (near piano) and we will do our best to allocate you to your chosen seats.
- Though we can guarantee that you will have a table, we cannot guarantee exactly where, as we do our best to fulfil all customers requirements
- Seating in ‘Ella’ or ‘Satchmo’ (by the windows) is allocated last, unless specifically requested. Please note, a few of these seats are restricted view
- All seats are at a table or bar where you can order food and drink with table service
- You can view a seating plan here
SPECIAL ACCESS NEEDS
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a suitable seat for you and your party
- We have an accessible toilet on the ground floor